FOOD NEWS JUNE 2015
- enroot - This warrants it’s own blog post which we’ll do following our visit next week (v v excited) but we wanted to share this with you while it’s hot off the press!
This month a group of chefs, artists, and activists dedicated to sustaining small scale farming in the UK, will come together to form Enroot.
Enroot is a travelling, grass roots kitchen that hosts farm-to-table events in collaboration with farmers and small business. The Enroot team strongly believes that there is an ever-increasing disconnect, between the food people eat and the farmers who produce it, which comes from the consumer’s lack of knowledge of where their food comes from.
Enroot’s goal is to bridge this widening gap between producers and consumers by removing the barriers separating them, and preparing dinners on the farm itself. During the months of June and July, 12 dinners will take place on four different farms throughout the UK. The food the team provides will be carefully sourced from the communities surrounding each farm, in an effort to create menus that reflect the produce of the communities themselves. Diners at the events will enjoy not only this site specific menu, but will also enjoy the company of the farmers and community members who will have all worked to make the evening possible.
The Enroot Collective was co-founded by Edinburgh born, Angus Buchanan-Smith and his great friend DeVonn Francis, the two young men met while Angus was attending The Cooper Union University in New York. Angus grew up on Cockburn Farm Dairy, located just outside Edinburgh and was deeply affected by the closure of the dairy in 2003, due to the collapse of the dairy market in the UK and has since become an advocate for small scale farming. DeVonn grew up working on his father’s restaurant in Virginia, USA, and is the chef who will be crafting Enroot’s menus.
To make this pop up series of dinners actually happen they have been seeking support from crowdfunding in order to turn their dream into a reality.
Dates for forthcoming events are Saturday 6th June (SOLD OUT), Friday 12th June, Saturday 13th June. £35 per head hosted at Cockburn Farm Edinburgh, Scotland.
If that ticks all of your boxes as it does ours then click on the website and book your spot now before they sell out. Jamie Oliver has already ‘got wind of them’ so strike now, before it’s too late….and remember, you heard it from the Monkfish first!
In other food news….
- HOPETOUN FARM SHOP 4TH BIRTHDAY - Hopetoun Farm Shop have announced a family BBQ day on Saturday 13th June, 12-4pm to celebrate their 4th birthday. Loads going on including beer tasting, mural painting for kids, meet the farming team and of course some tasting BBQ food.
- HARVEY NIX SUMMER SEAFOOD DINNER – Wednesday 17th June, 7pm, £75 per person includes Prosecco on arrival, four courses with matched wines and tea or coffee. Hosted by executive chef Stuart Muir and Stevie ‘Fish’ the duo will talk you through four incredible courses (all with matched wines) describing the sourcing, provenance and cooking techniques involved in creating beautiful seafood dishes. The dinner will take place in the Forth Floor Restaurant, Edinburgh. To make a reservation or for further information contact the Reception Team on 0131 524 8350 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- - CRAIL FOOD FESTIVAL - The 5th annual food festival runs from 12-14 June 2015. Lots and lots going on, check out the website for more details. Highlights include the opening night film showing of ‘Chocolat’ and the Food and Drink Emporium which showcases produce from jam to gin. There is something for everyone and if it rains don’t forget your pac-a-macs, you’ll be in Fife after all…
- - ROYAL HIGHLAND SHOW 2015 - this year the Royal Highland Show celebrates it’s 175th anniversary and runs from 18-21 June at the Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston, Edinburgh. Tonnes more detail over on the website so click HERE now. If it’s anything like last year the Food & Drink hall will be well worth a visit and considering 2015 is the ‘Year of Food and Drink Scotland‘ it’s going to be moo-hoosive…to quote their publicity material….
- CAKE FEST EDINBURGH - 21 June, Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh. As if the Royal Highland Show wasn’t enough the very same weekend you can ‘have your cake and eat it’ quite literally. Cake fest promises a free day of cake, entertainment and Scotland’s best food and drink. Head on over and check it out for yourselves. One of our favourite street food fans, CREMA CARAVAN will be there.
- SAVOUR – Savour is back again following a successful event in 2014. Taking place at Summerhall, Edinburgh, Sunday 5th July, 1-6pm, while away your Sunday afternoon eating and drinking your way around The Dissection Room, The Wine Lab and The Pudding Hall plus more! Tickets available via the BITE magazine website HERE.
- FOOD HATS - come on, you know you want one. Follow ChiliPhilly on Instagram now, he’s sure to put a smile on your face and stop you talking about the weather!
- PIZZA IN THE WILD – no food news to speak of but just because we like the pictures. see more HERE
Yep, we’re here to inform as well as entertain! That’s your food news for this month, till next time Monkfish Fans. Get knitting, clickety click….or perhaps chuck your pizza over a traffic light and instagram it pronto