east neuk of fife – food heaven? OH YES!
We are just this second back from a long weekend to the East Neuk of Fife – the weather was its usual unpredictable self….sunny one day, force 10 gale and rain the next. Typical Scotland. It was good to get out of the city for a few days and explore our lovely coastline and now we can tell you a little bit about what we got up to and what we ate. Come on, it wouldn’t be a holiday if there wasn’t food involved.
So, on the subject of Fife, here’s what you can get up to in the space of a few days come rain or shine!
- Balgove Larder Steak Barn
We’d never visited Balgove Larder before so this was our opportunity. Just minutes away from centre of St Andrews this brilliant farm shop, butchery and cafe gives high fives all round to the amazing produce that Fife (and beyond) has to offer. But….on top of that….they’ve just opened the Steak Barn which just so happens to be the coolest barn in Scotland. Take a peak…
The barn – potato boxes stacked high to make walls, communal tables, industrial lighting, candles and blankets. OK, there’s not much comfort or central heating here and plenty of fresh air gaps in the walls to boot, but hey, wrap up, you’ll be fine.
The food – you’re eating some of the finest produce in Scotland, Balgove’s own steaks, hung for at least 28 days. Burgers and sausages made on site in the butchery. Everything is cooked to order and you can top up with twice fried chips, beer battered onion rings and rinse it all down with a pint of local beer.
- The Night Market, St Andrews
Now we’ve introduced you to the Steak Barn you might be interested in this…The Night Market in the barn kicks off on Wednesday 13th May.
The five monthly markets will take place throughout the summer and include live music, work from local craftspeople, fresh food and drink from Balgove Larder and a selection of other producers. This will be served up with beer on tap from local brewers, Eden Mill
The dates for the markets are:
· 13 May – The launch of the new night markets will see the return of the top producers, favourite Balgove nibbles as well as new food and drink.
· 10 June – This market has a summer barbequing theme with an emphasis on al fresco eating.
· 8 July – As St Andrews gears up for the British Open, there’s a golf theme to this market with book signings from Oliver Horowitz New York Times bestseller An American Caddie in St Andrews alongside signings of new children’s book Little Tommy Morris by author Roger McStravick, and illustrator, Maria Amelia Randall.
· 5 August – This market provides the opportunity to meet a series of talented local chefs (something about tasting the chef’s creations as well?)
· 16 September – An autumnal market featuring speciality local beers.
Loads more info on the Night Market facebook page and also on the Balgove Larder website, see links below.
Steak Barn, Balgove Larder, Strathtyrum, KY16 9SF.
- The Lobster Store, Crail
If you don’t already know about this little gem you do now. Only open at weekends in late Spring but weekday opening during the summer you are promised the freshest crustacean the East Neuk of Fife has to offer. Lobsters caught that day are cooked to order for the small matter of £11 each. Grab a bag of chips from the chippie up the road, a bottle of fizz if you’re in the mood and snuggle up on the nearby beach for one of the finest picnics ever! #tasteofscotland
- Fife Farmers Market
Don’t go all the way up to St Andrews without sampling the Fife Farmers Market. Check the website for times and locations here www.fifefarmersmarket.co.uk. We sampled a couple of things but the Arbroath Smokies were the stand out, melt in your mouth. Iain R Spink is your man.
And yes, it was sunny some of the time we were in the East Neuk of Fife but just to prove our earlier point regarding the unpredictable climate then this was what it was like on Sunday….seriously!
Takes you right back to those childhood memories of picnics in the car with a flask of tea. You know when you say you’ll never turn into your parents….#that !!